1. BEL’S COMMITMENT TO PRIVACY
We are committed to protecting your privacy and are bound by the Australian Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Act).
The entity responsible for the collection of your personal information is Bel Australia Pty Ltd (ABN 45 600 057 298).
2. TYPES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT
The types of personal information that we collect will depend on the kind of relationship we have with you. However, we will only collect and store personal information about you when it is reasonably necessary for our business activities.
Some of the common types of personal information that we collect include:
- contact details (e.g. last name, first name, phone number, e-mail and postal address)
- demographic information (e.g. date of birth, gender, State or Territory of residence and occupation, information about your family such as the number of family members and their ages)
- information about your purchasing preferences and consumption habits regarding dairy products/cheeses
- correspondence and records relating to our dealings with you (e.g. letters, e-mails and telephone calls)
We do not generally require you to provide us with any sensitive information about yourself (such as information about your health, sexual orientation, race or ethnicity or religious beliefs), but we may collect such information in certain limited circumstances (e.g. if you provide us with allergy information about yourself).
You may notify us that you wish to be anonymous or use a pseudonym. However, in some circumstances this may mean that we are unable to provide you with the products, services, information or assistance you require.
We will use reasonable endeavours to seek consent from a parent or guardian before collecting any personal information about a child under the age of 15.
3. HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
Your personal information could be collected in a range of circumstances.
- We may collect your personal information directly from you, when you provide it to our staff or to our agents or contractors, for example:
- When you contact our consumer service line
- When you participate in our marketing programs or promotions (e.g. contests, games, newsletters)
- When you browse our BEL Group websites and social media sites
- When you sign up for our mailing lists
- When you contact and correspond with us, for example to ask for information
We may also collect personal information about you from publicly available sources, from our related companies or from third parties (for example, from referees if you apply for a job with us).
4. PURPOSES FOR COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
How we use your personal information will generally depend on why we collected it and the nature of your relationship with us.
Generally, we will only use and disclose the personal information that we collect about you so that we can do business together and for purposes connected with our business operations. These purposes may include:
- Handling questions or complaints that you make to our consumer service;
- Improving our products (for example, by using information about your purchasing habits to get a better understanding of your needs and desires);
- Conducting competitions, promotions and trade incentive programs that you have entered;
- Providing you with services that you have requested or signed up for (e.g. discount vouchers);
- Running credit and employment checks (if you do business with us or apply for employment with us);
- Where permitted by law, sending you newsletters, promotions or offers from partners;
- (At any time, you can cancel your subscription to these newsletters by clicking on the provided link at the bottom of these e-mails)
- Securing and improving your use of BEL group websites; and
- Complying with applicable legal requirements.
5. COMMUNICATION AND DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
In some cases, we need to transfer (or provide access to) your personal information to external recipients. The types of recipients that we share your information with will depend on the nature of the information and why we collected it. In the course of our ordinary business operations we disclose personal information to:
- External service providers (for example third-party IT services (such as data storage services, email filtering, virus scanning, call centers and external printing and photocopying providers));
- Commercial partners (for example promotional operations companies);
- Other Bel group entities; and
- Our advisors and consultants.
We may also have to transfer or disclose your personal data to local law enforcement authorities if we are lawfully requested or required to do so.
Some of the third parties to whom we disclose your personal information may be located outside Australia. The countries in which these third parties are located will depend on the circumstances. However, in the course of our ordinary business operations we commonly disclose personal information to third parties located in the following countries:
We take reasonable and appropriate technical measures to protect your personal information against misuse, interference or loss, and against unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. However, except to the extent that liability cannot be excluded due to the operation of statute, we exclude all liability (including in negligence) for the consequences of any unauthorised access to your personal information. Please notify us immediately if you become aware of any breach of security.
7. DATA STORAGE BY BEL
We store personal information on computer databases and/or in hard copy, and we engage third party service providers to assist in storing and processing certain types of personal information for us. Some of these service providers may be located overseas, or use facilities located overseas to provide us with services.
Your personal information will not be stored for a time period exceeding the period required or permitted by applicable law.
8. ACCESS AND CORRECTION
You have a right to request access to or correction of your personal information held by us. If you wish to access, correct or update any personal information we may hold about you, please contact us as set out below. We will deal with all requests according to applicable law, and we may charge for providing access to this information and we may refuse access where the Act allows us to do so.
We will take any privacy complaint seriously. We will aim to resolve any such complaint in a timely and efficient manner, and in accordance with our obligations under the Act. We request that you cooperate with us during this process and provide us with relevant information we may require.
We expect our procedures will deal fairly and promptly with your complaint. However, if you remain dissatisfied, you can also make a formal complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner: www.oaic.gov.au.
11. CONTACT DETAILS
Please direct any privacy issues or queries to us by using our contact form.